Unknown Sickness- Help Swollen Eyes In Young Miniature Chicken

Tren

In the Brooder
May 23, 2015
So my chicken has been having swollen eyes for a while, I don't have much experience in raising chickens but this hasn't happened before and it doesn't seem like it's going away, she has swollen eyes and when she tries to make sounds they come out sounding raspy and sharp. I think it could be respiratory but as I said before I don't have much experience. She's young and seems to be having trouble seeing but not much change in eating and drinking, I don't think anything could have poked her eyes since there are no other chickens in her cage but maybe she scratched something into her eye?

Yeah I was searching and looking around and I found a thread on here that talked about Tylan as something that could work, as well as Vetericyn?

I sprayed Vetericyn in her eyes and seems like she can open them a bit better since she had them closed a lot, tomarrow I'm going to see about buying her Tylan as well

this is her before the Vetericyn

I read around a little, too, and found that Tylan is usually suggested for ailments that include "bubbly eyes." They also mentioned that that could be a sign of bronchitis, but I don't know if chickens keep eating and drinking normally with that. ?

Those same symptoms in humans remind me of an allergic reaction, but I Googled "do chickens have allergies," and the results seemed to suggest that those symptoms are usually a respiratory ailment. Hm.

I like Vetericyn, but I only have experience with it helping fight infection from the outside. Maybe that along with an antibiotic would be good to fight what's happening from the inside. I also read that folks suggest getting her "tested" to find out what she's fighting. Don't know just what that entails (A swab test? Would it be a vet bill?), but it seems to be commonly recommended.

Best to you!

Thanks, I don't seen much change with Vetericyn though. I'm getting Tylan today since things have been in the way of that. She's eating and drinking normally but her eyes are still bad.

Back
Top Bottom