1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unknown sickness possibly spreading through flock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wyatt0224, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    So I brought a welsummer pullet home along with two others, a barred rock and silver laced Wyandotte. A day or so after I brought them home I noticed my welsummer had stuff coming out of her nostrils. It appeared as if she was trying to breathe through her mouth as well. I brought home the new pullets three weeks ago tomorrow.

Within the past 4-6 days I've noticed my RIR rooster has a very hoarse, low and short crow. Almost the complete opposite of what it used to be. Sometimes it lasts for 3-4 seconds and other times it doesn't last more then 2 seconds. I've also noticed it sounds like he is growling sometimes which I've never heard him do before. But he doesn't have anything coming out of his nostrils.

On top of that I noticed my slw pullet also has stuff coming out of her nostrils.

Other then the things I told you, every other flock member seems fine, including my two new pulleys. Besides my roosters crow, he to seems normal.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with them? Any treatments I can do/give them?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It sounds as though the 3 that were recently added, one or more had one of the respiratory diseases, such as infectious bronchitis, mycoplasma (MG, ) or other worse ones. Do you see any foam, bubbles, or watery eyes, any swelling around the face or an eye, any sneezing, or rattly breathing? Head shaking and gasping are other symptoms. These diseases can take several days to weeks to infect others, and soon the whole flock can become carriers, whether they show sickness or not. I would close your flock to new birds or to birds going out of the flock until you get some testing to find out what is foing on. If one dies, refrigerate the body in a plastic bag, don't freeze, and contact your state vet or poultry lab for a necropsy, which is a food way to get testing done. I can give you information on how to contact them.

3. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    The Welsummer had bubbles coming out of her nostrils. Not recently if I can recall, she had it about three days ago. Any idea if I can treat them somehow without any type of medicine?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Tylan 50 injectable can be used to treat MG, but it may not be effective in treating a virus such as infectious bronchitis. That would have to run its course over several weeks. Dosage is 1-1.5 ml given twice a day for 5 days. Give it orally or as an injection into the breast muscle with a 3 ml syringe with a 22 or 25 gauge needle. But just nasal secretions don't sound typical without watery eyes, sneezing, or other symptoms. I would make sure the coop ventilation overhead is good, prevent dust and any wet or moldy areas, or excessive heat in the coop which may cause more breathing problems.

5. Wyatt0224

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    I don't believe ventilation to be a problem as they've lived almost a year without any such problems. I also don't think there are any damp areas in the coop and heat definitely isn't a problem. If it is infectious bronchitis, will it kill them? Are there any other possible viruses that could wipe out my whole flock?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by