unkown death of chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman33, Apr 7, 2009.

1. chickenman33

chickenman33 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    my brother went out (he was visitin from med school) and one of the chickens was mising,I went out and about 60 yards away near the woods I found miss. Pouda dead. she wass fine the other day and there was no bitr marks or sraches, looked heathy. she had vaccination for mareks and she was 1 year old. got any advice![​IMG]

2. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Maybe she died of old age...
    How old was she?

3. chickenman33

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    1 year

4. Robdoc

Robdoc Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2008
    Scandia
    I'm sorry you lost a chicken. Some predators like mink get chickens at the neck and just break them sometimes, so obvious marks or blood might not show. And they might not carry off the chicken either. Not sure how exposed she was to predators, though.

5. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Could it have been a dog? Sometimes dogs will just shake a chicken hard and that kills them.

6. chickenman33

Apr 7, 2009
    Logansport IN
    :confused:mabe but i dont think it was a dog, my collie is usally outside with the chickens. he would have noticed the dog, but mabe not a mink

7. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Well, sorry you lost her. I hope it was a one-time accident and not a disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by