Unlikely Hero - UPDATE Pic page 3

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by walkswithdog, Dec 5, 2008.

1. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    You all know I'm raising about 20 partridge rocks. I also have three black australorp pullets, who are four months now. They did not like the little buggers. Only recently have they decided the seven week olds might be chickens. So today is a stunner.

Late this afternoon I heard one of the BA's hollering and fussing and went outside to see what the fuss was. The dogs were indoors so that fear was abated.

I came out to find the BA attacking a hawk eating a PR and a torn and bleeding BA trying to make him leave. She'd given it her all, taken a wound and kept trying.

There were slices from behind both ears and under her jaw that met at her keel leaving hanging tattered ribbons of feather and skin from each side of her face and a five inch long wound.

And still she tried to defend a chick she didn't even like.

I've never even considered taking a chicken to a vet. Ever. IT'S A CHICKEN!!! Until today. I scooped her up, took her in the house to the bathroom and started pulling feathers from the wound. I figured she was a gonner but was stunned to find all the underlying structures intact. I pulled feathers, washed and flushed the wound, all of which she took awfully well. Then called my dog vet. My dog vet refered me to a livestock vet. The livestock vet said he's see her.

In the end he figured he could suture her and that leaving open a wound that huge wasn't an option. 30 stitches later, she at least doesn't look as much like a Freddy Krueger victim. She's resting in the kitchen cage.

Okay I spent money on her, but dang... bravery like that - she earned it.

Now, here's hoping she makes it. But I gave her a chance.

This photo was taken 2 hours before it happened.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    Aw, what an awesome girl and a fantastic mom. I would have done the same thing. I hope she makes it!

Sarah

3. WildBurroShirts.com

WildBurroShirts.com Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2008
    Carson City, NV
    Brava!

I'm glad you're trying to save her back: she deserves it.

Plus...if you plan on hatching any of her eggs, you know she's tough stock that can free range with some sense of safety.

I hope she makes it.

As for her not liking the little ones...I've got family I don't like. I'd still kick your butt if you tried to hurt them.

4. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    WildBurroShirts.com :

Brava!

I'm glad you're trying to save her back: she deserves it.

Plus...if you plan on hatching any of her eggs, you know she's tough stock that can free range with some sense of safety.

I hope she makes it.

As for her not liking the little ones...I've got family I don't like. I'd still kick your butt if you tried to hurt them.

She can brood all the PR's she can stand, if she's going to have that much fight in her. PR australorp would probably be a weird little cuss. And my only Roos will be partridge. At least black legs will make the mixes obvious.

She's earned a place if she makes it.

Heck, even the turkeys ran away.

That hawk has an appointment with my shotgun.​

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she makes it. I think you have a winner there and I hope you get to hatch chicks from her.

6. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    What a gal of the 21st century!!!! [​IMG] Did the vet give you antibiotics for her? I would think she needs some to stave off infection. Sure do hope she recovers! Oh, and by the way, I don't want to tell you how much $ I've spent on my chickens! It's called... [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Oh what a brave girl you have. I have a BA that would stand alone in front of my 21 little ones against the other 10 big girls. I must say I really love my BA's because they just have awesome attitudes.

Good luck to her and I hope she heals well and quickly. [​IMG] Make sure she is getting electrolytes and antibiotics just in case.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  8. walkswithdog

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    She has antibiotics and electrolytes in her water. And so far she's doing pretty well, she's eaten. Though she's quite freaked by being an only chicken in the house.

She's put up with quite a bit from caring humans with actual good grace. I scooped her up and dragged her to the bathroom and spent a lot of time poking and looking and pulling feathers and cleaning. She was quite calm through it and at the vets as well and suturing while you are awake just sucks. Especially 30 stitches.

She didn't come here a tame chicken. Eating out of hands and perching on people was not her thing at first. But - as her photo shows - she's figured out the part about bugging people til their eyes cross.

9. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    Awww, I sure hope she's makes it.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm choked up here! Amazing bravery from that girl! I hope she makes a full recovery, Chere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by