Unlikely mates

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CartierChicken, Jun 20, 2011.

1. CartierChicken

CartierChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I know this post should have a picture with it, but I am so lazy that way. If only my son was home. Anyways, last week I hatched a chicken and a quail, about a day apart. This was my first hatch, and was a trial run. They both should not have lived. Their egg tray was left out of the incubator for 12 hours. I found they ice cold, then promptly beat my kids over it:p Then they were 2 days over hatch and I had to get them out. Both laid on the floor of the hatcher for 12 hours. I totally expected them to die, but they didn't. I think the quail has ADHD. It is the spunkiest darn creature I have ever witnessed. The chicken is more mellow. If I give them both a meal worm, the quail will scarf his/hers down and then snatch the worm form the chicken. The chicken is 3 times his/her size, but the quail holds its own. My question is, will this change? Is there going to be a point where I MUST separate the two?

2. flnatv

flnatv Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    West Tennessee
    [​IMG] No idea, but I can see the worm stealing now...

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I would watch them and see how the feeding goes...if you see them continuing to rob the other, I would consider it, if the one is suffering for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by