Unlucky ratio of cockrels to pullets on 13 Dominique chicks?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by legacyln, Mar 25, 2008.

1. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    I got 13 Dominique chicks from a 4-H poultry contact who coordinates classroom chick hatching for our county. I think I finally caught on to distinquishing cockerels from pullets. I was hoping for more pullets since I am after laying hens. Guess I should've ordered pullets only-- live and learn!! I think I'll keep a couple cockerels and find homes or meat bird people for the rest. So I want to be sure I'm id-ing them right before I start giving them away!

Dominique fans, please help me out here.
    I think the 4 in the laundry basket are my girls
    [​IMG]
    And I think the nine foraging are boys?
    [​IMG]

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I think it may be a bit early to tell, but I'd look at comb growth and development closer up to decide. There are some boys in there with bright pink combs for sure though.

3. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    That's not your only problem-the one on the left in the basket appears to be Single-Combed. Dominiques are Rose-Combed.
    Can't tell about all the others.
    Here's a story for you though. Many years back when I was looking to get some good Rhode Island Red Bantams I [after several phone calls] got this old boy with one of the best strains around to send me 3 dozen eggs. They hatched very well. 33 of the 36 hatched. 29 cockerels and 4 pullets. Sometimes it happens like that. Somehow it rarely seems to go the other way.

4. legacyln

legacyln Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Jefferson City, MO
    hmmm, I hadn't even noticed-- of course I have never seen a rose comb in person and in the past I've just had RIs and Black Australorps, so of course these chicks' combs look "normal" to me. [​IMG]

I'll have to see what they look like as they get older-- maybe they are Barred Rocks or some kind of mutts.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Looks like 4 girls and 9 boys..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by