Unlucky ratio of cockrels to pullets on 13 Dominique chicks?

legacyln

Songster
11 Years
Mar 18, 2008
Jefferson City, MO
I got 13 Dominique chicks from a 4-H poultry contact who coordinates classroom chick hatching for our county. I think I finally caught on to distinquishing cockerels from pullets. I was hoping for more pullets since I am after laying hens. Guess I should've ordered pullets only-- live and learn!! I think I'll keep a couple cockerels and find homes or meat bird people for the rest. So I want to be sure I'm id-ing them right before I start giving them away!

Dominique fans, please help me out here.
I think the 4 in the laundry basket are my girls
20080323069.jpg

And I think the nine foraging are boys?
20080323079.jpg

That's not your only problem-the one on the left in the basket appears to be Single-Combed. Dominiques are Rose-Combed.
Can't tell about all the others.
Here's a story for you though. Many years back when I was looking to get some good Rhode Island Red Bantams I [after several phone calls] got this old boy with one of the best strains around to send me 3 dozen eggs. They hatched very well. 33 of the 36 hatched. 29 cockerels and 4 pullets. Sometimes it happens like that. Somehow it rarely seems to go the other way.

hmmm, I hadn't even noticed-- of course I have never seen a rose comb in person and in the past I've just had RIs and Black Australorps, so of course these chicks' combs look "normal" to me.
big_smile.png

I'll have to see what they look like as they get older-- maybe they are Barred Rocks or some kind of mutts.

Back
Top Bottom