Unmedicated chick feed for hatchlings

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kodiakchicken, Nov 2, 2008.

1. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I've got 9 eggs due to hatch in a week. I went to the feed store yesterday to get a back of medicated chick starter and, naturally, they were out. Since we're on an island it could take forever for them to get any in. I can get a little bit of unmedicated starter from the pet store. I know the risks of coccidiosis, but since the chicks will be hatched in my home and they will be isolated from all other animals in a brooder for several weeks, would it be okay to use the unmedicated starter?

I am trying to order some medicated feed online, but it will take a week to get here.

Thanks!

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Some folks CHOOSE unmedicated - its not a BAD thing, you'll be fine with using that for a while.

My last babies had un-medicated starter, I had ducks at the same time so just fed them all the same starter. THey were in the coop with the flock so I never did give them medicated feed.

3. minna

minna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Burnsville, MS
    All of my babies get unmedicated starter. Why fix what ain't broken? I chose not to buy medicated, I have raised over 200 baby chicks in the last 6 months, only lost about 10, I think that is a good track record. The only problem I have had with disease was in my older chickens, not my babies.

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    I have heard that the medicated feed looses its effect after ~3 months. So most feed we buy up here is likely non medicated anyways. We purchase the medicated if we can and supplement the non medicated by adding the medicine/vitamins to the water-er.

If you know anyone coming through Kenai this week let me know I can meet up with them and get you some. Not sure what ERA would charge for shipping a whole bag as freight to you but I could help with that also if you get in dire need.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I never use medicated starter, haven't had cocci in any of my hatches.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I always use medicated and this year, every set of youngsters get cocci when they touch the ground. So, it isn't working now anyway. The risk of cocci is higher in warm, moist weather, less risk in cooler, drier weather.

7. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Thanks, everyone. I'll pick up some of the non-medicated starter and then we'll go from there.

AK Bird Brain - I don't know of anyone headed for Kenai anytime soon. I can get AK Mill and Feed to send a 50# bag, but it ends up being around $50. Guess that's the price we pay for living in paradise!

8. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    Quote:Yep, Thats also why we stock up! this summer the local vendors didnt start stalking chick feed until the end of April. My wife started hatching at the end of February (and is still going).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by