unmedicated chickens/eggs - what are the dangers to humans

chikinlovely

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Zone 10, Florida
So, I ended up with a few chickens, they were just chicks when given to us, but they've been laying about 3 months now.
The lady who gave them said: yeah just feed 'em whatever & put some wazine in their water every 6 months-"
Well they range throughout mine & adjacent yards all day. These are pesticide free yards. Each morning, they get a bowl of layer feed mixed w/ oyster shell & my daughters leftovers from the night before- (except the few things not for chickens, like chicken scraps or potatoes.) these table scraps are all organic. They get fresh water throughout the day, as someone is always around to freshen it for them. The coop is only used for sleeping & laying, so its small, but easy to keep clean. So that's the back story.
Here's the question: Apparently I should've given the wazine in Feb., Didn't buy it till March, now April has come & gone and it still sits here unused. We don't eat the birds, but we eat the eggs, including my young daughter: Do we now have roundworms?
The chickens themselves are quite content & seem very healthy, so they've never been treated for anything. Am I putting others at risk by not using wazine? I sometimes think, mankind was raising/eating eggs before Wazine was invented & we made it this far, so is it really crucial, or is it more of a way to limit your own liability if someone else is buying/eating your eggs? everyone we give them to raves. what I'm wondering is- but do they all now have worms in their gut?
How could we call our eggs organic if we dosed our chickens with anything when they are in excellent health?

cafarmgirl

Crowing
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
California, central valley
No, eating eggs from chickens that have not been dewormed does not mean that you or anybody else automatically now has worms. You would have to eat the worm eggs, worms eggs are deposited in the birds poop. There have been cases of round worms found in eggs but they are quite visible!

Wazine is considered fairly useless as a dewormer since it will only remove round worms and there is quite a list of worms that chickens can pick up. So if one is going to deworm their birds it's better to use something effective like Valbazen or Safeguard. Valbazen also works slowly over the course of a few days so you don't have the risk of dead worm toxicity or a blockage if the hens are carrying a heavy load of worms.

Chickens will get worms eventually just due to their lifestyle. I suppose if you kept them up in wire cages with no contact with the ground then you wouldn't have worms but that's not how most people keep their birds! Chickens can appear quite healthy and happy until they have a heavy load of parasites. Then they start loosing weight, start looking raggedy and pale and eventually they die. And as mentioned, worms can sometimes show up in an egg. So it's in everybody's best interest to stay on top of it and prevent heavy infestations in the first place. I know I would much rather eat eggs from healthy birds who are dewormed a couple times a year then from birds infested with intestinal parasites.

Last edited:

ChickenCanoe

Crossing the Road
9 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
No. Roundworms - if present - are in the intestine and nearly impossible to get into an egg (reproductive tract).
The danger would be from the eggs if you had used the wazine due to residue if you didn't have a withdrawal period.
It may be better in zone 10 to have a worming schedule but in zone 6, I don't do so.
If you are still concerned, try to have a fecal sample read for worms. There are a lot more than roundworms as parasites that can affect the chickens but they won't be in the eggs. Having the fecal tested, you'll know if you need to treat and what you're treating for.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Welcome to BYC. Here is the thing--all chickens have some worms. Some people never worm their chickens, and many worm them at least twice a year. There are at least 5-6 worms that can affect chickens, and roundworm is the only one visible to the eye. Tapeworm can be seen as white specs, but it is rare. Some who live in warm humid or damp climates really need to worm fairly often. If you live in an arrid or cool climate, you can get away with doing it less often. Chickens can become quite ill, look dull, lose weight, and stop laying due to high worm loads. There are no organic cures such as cayenne pepper, oregano, ACV, or pumpkin seeds that will miraculously cure a worm load. Wormers such as Valbazen (albendazole) and SafeGuard/Panacur (fenbendazole) liquid or paste, Wormout Gel (praziquantil and oxfendazole) will get most or all chicken worms. Wormers are easier on chickens than a worm infestation.

Top Bottom