Unmedicated or medicated chick feed for ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wordgirl, Apr 21, 2012.

1. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Even if amprolium is safe for ducklings, is it needed by them? Are they susceptible to cocci like chicks, and should they be fed medicated feed when they are young?

Thanks!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    To me it depends upon whether you have them naturally hatched on your own property, or whether they are shipped in.

Shipping is stressful and baby birds of all species can die of shipping stress. If I have shipped birds, I try to give them every advantage. Coxidia is a common organism and it will often show symptoms in stressed animals. Stress lowers an animal's resistance.

If the ducklings are hatched by their mother and loose in your yard, the mother is most likely immune to whatever local organisms you have in your soil. The ducklings gain immunity by nibbling the mother's poop. Of course, if you have issues with coxidia in your soil and have had problems with your birds, then medicated feed would be indicated for naturally hatched ducklings.

The Amprollum is vitamin based. Not very scary stuff. I always lean towards "better safe than sorry", especially on shipped birds.

My home incubator hatched birds are on medicated feed, I happen to have the feed for a batch of Cornish Cross and it doesn't make sense to me to buy a separate bag of feed. Also, it is difficult to find good quality unmedicated starter.

3. wordgirl

wordgirl One of the Shire-folk

Apr 14, 2009
    Thank you! That's very helpful! I'm hatching ducklings in an incubator, and they're hopefully going to hatch just about the same time my chicks arrive at the end of May - my chicks are going to be vaccinated, so they can't have the medicated starter, so I was wondering if I could have them on the same feed, but I don't want to put the ducklings in danger. Maybe I'll just put the ducklings on medicated starter. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by