Unplanned staggered hatch in incubator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SanamsChicks, Apr 10, 2018.

1. SanamsChicks

SanamsChicks In the Brooder

Apr 10, 2018
    England, Buckinghamshire
    Hi everyone!
    I am new here and so sorry I haven’t done a proper introduction. Before coming to this site and joining I have tried to get advice off friends and Facebook etc but no one seems to really have an answer!
    I have 3 old English game hens. All three went broody a few days after each other. I placed eggs under each one once she went broody. I only had one coop but they didn’t mind being broody and nesting together and their nests were separated. Towards the end of hen number 1’s broody days the hens kinda rolled the eggs and ended up together. I know I should have separated them but I didn’t have enough space and didn’t want them to abandon nests so let them be. Once the first batch of eggs hatched all my Hens left their nests!!! Now I have 5 chicks being mothered by 3 hens and had to put the abandoned eggs in incubator. I moved these eggs after two days of hens leaving and then coming back to sit on them. I have one set that we’re due to hatch yday but haven’t seen any signs at all of hatch and another set due to hatch Saturday. I’m meant to be in lockdown but having to open incubator to turn Saturdays due eggs. My question is will any of the eggs due yday make it do you think or should I give up and will saturdays eggs be affected because I’m minimising turning so not to sacrifice the hatch due yesterday. My plan is to try get hens to adopt chicks once hatched. They seem to be very keen and I have one bigger bantam who had other two bantam hens u set her wings and they have chicks under their wings. Quite comical but yes please any advice would Be appreciated and unfortunately I do not have a second incubator I have asked around if I can borrow but no news yet.

Many Thanks in advance!!

Jetblack2004 and KikisGirls like this.
  2. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Did you candle the eggs? I would not give up just yet.

3. Redhead Rae

Redhead Rae Chickens, chickens everywhere!

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    With getting cold like that, they could take an extra couple of days to hatch. Candle and see what you can see. Tap and chirp to them and listen to see what they do.

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. SanamsChicks

Apr 10, 2018
    England, Buckinghamshire
    I do not have an egg candler but used my phone torch but couldn't see much inside so just going to maybe try tomorrow when its dark.

KikisGirls likes this.
  5. SanamsChicks

Apr 10, 2018
    England, Buckinghamshire
    Tried the tapping but got no response. I have noticed that they seem to sometimes move so I am hoping there is some life there! Just wasn't sure how long to wait and the longer I wait for them to hatch the less I can turn the other eggs, not sure how detrimental that would be.

6. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    As long as you keep the humidity up, turning the eggs shouldn't be a problem. Once you get the first pip, stop turning the eggs and let things take its course.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. SanamsChicks

Apr 10, 2018
    England, Buckinghamshire
    But if I stop turning the eggs that are due on Saturday whilst these ones over due hatch will that be damaging for saturdays eggs? Not sure if it makes sense.

KikisGirls likes this.
  8. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    You are only stopping a day early, it should be fine.

KikisGirls likes this.
  9. SanamsChicks

Apr 10, 2018
    England, Buckinghamshire
    I’ve read how humidity should be kept high in last 3 days should I open the incubator to add any more water or try get more in at the beginning? I’ve got a sponge in there with water not sure how much of a difference it will make!

10. Redhead Rae

Jan 4, 2017
    Braxton County, WV
    If humidity gets below 65%, I would re-wet or add another sponge. Make sure you wet the sponge with warm/hot water. It will turn to humidity faster than cold water.

KikisGirls and SanamsChicks like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: