Unpleasant neighbor so now we have a new chicken.

lengel

Songster
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
MA
Our neighbors have seven children and raised four Aracauna hens two years ago. There are so many ticks in the area and Lyme disease is rampant.

The hens were truly free range and over time all but one was killed. She's a beautiful bird, quiet and has kind of this tough survival thing about her. She would hang out with our guinea hen and they are fast friends.

Unfortunately, we have an extremely unpleasant neighbor. If any animal steps foot on his property, he has a conniption. This in spite of the fact that he doesn't even spend his summers and most of his weekends here. Since we have labrador retrievers, any lab that he sees on his property must be ours. This in spite of the fact that there are probably twenty labs in the immediate area. He is, of all things, a high school counselor but is condescending and awful to women generally speaking. Three years ago I told him where to get off and he has been nice to me ever since.

Today I got a call from the neighbor with the Aracauna. She was in tears and just kept saying that she had to find a new home for her hen. It was awful. He went after her because the hen was supposedly destroying his porch. His home is so rot ridden, it wouldn't surprise me if he demanded that they rebuild the thing - because of one chicken. Needless to say, we took her in a heartbeat and she is keeping our guinea hen Mo company. The kids were a wreck when they brought her over and I told them they could visit anytime. Not really a stretch since we have a standing agreement for paying them to do certain jobs around the property so they can come over whenever they like.

This neighbor leaves for his beach house (which I can imagine is in horrible shape too) any day now that the school year has ended. Just who among us does he think would care enough to watch out for his house? I know I don't care. Some people are just too much.

Just went out to check on the guinea hen/chicken hen setup and found this. How cute are they (but a little alarmed I was snapping their pic in the middle of the night!).

Last edited:
Gee sounds like a wonderful neighbor.
roll.png
Luckily most of our neighbors are wonderful. I am glad that you were able to take the hen in and give it a home and a playmate. I am also glad that the kids can visit "their" pet and see that it is being taken care of.

What a great friend you are. It is wonderful to have great neighbors too. We have them for the first time since we moved here.

We had a neighbor in Ohio that was just like yours. If a dog went in his yard he would call and complain to us. If we had our truck in the street and in front of his property he would call. I planted a winsteria plant and he told me he didn't know why I would plant such a trashy plant and that I had to get rid of it. I could go on forever about the man. We even had to change our phone number to unlisted because of him.

Now we live in Indiana in a rural setting and love it. Great neighbors and all!!!

My chicken run free and their buffalo who is about 2 months old comes visiting when he wants too. Plus dogs who think I am the treat lady.

sue

I wonder after the guy leaves for summer to other house, maybe the hen could go back to the kids nextdoor? And have you house it when the guy comes back? I would take pictures of condition of his deck so no one will be held responcible(bad spellin) later. I try and be a good neighbor, but sometimes bad things happen and I would cover myself with pictures. Decks can be expensive to build for someone els! Just a thought. I had a neighbor that wasn't happy about my chickens, now we have made peace, for now. My chickens stay in my yard now, we put up more fencing. Good luck, glad you could save the hen.

Quote:
That's very possible. I've seen a lot of carpenter ants out there this year. Wouldn't that be funny if the chicken was helping save the house?

She did very well today for a hen who's never been locked up. Didn't lay but I probably shouldn't expect her to right away.

Unfortunately, the neighbor comes home for a couple of days at a time during the summer. No one ever knows when. Otherwise, I'd let her out as soon as he pulled out of the driveway.

Back
Top Bottom