Unrefrigerated eggs: is there an official resource on this topic?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SJensen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. SJensen

SJensen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    Hello,
    I have a blog about my suburban chicken experience (http://jensenschickens.blogspot.com/). A couple of my readers have expressed concern that I don't wash or refrigerate my fresh chicken eggs. I've read quite a few of the posts on this forum and decided not to remove the bloom, but does anyone know of a resource from a higher authority on this topic? Egg safety standards on the USDA website are geared towards commercially processed eggs.
    Thanks.

2. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
  3. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    I don't usually wash my eggs either, unless they have a mound of poo on them. I do refrigerate though. Mostly out of habit. I think they recommend washing eggs before eating, but I don't bother. There isn't a high likelihood of small flocks having things like pathogenic salmonella. As far as a resource goes? Maybe feathersite.com or Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens. Not sure.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

This is one of those round and round sort of topics. Everyone will have a different opinion and that's ok. I do what my family has always done and we have a large family, most living long and healthy lives. Also, having spent time in Europe where they don't have eggs in the refrigerated section, I know we aren't the only ones.

All the official sources will say keep them below 45 degrees Fahrenheit as far as I know. For everyone who is freaked out by not washing or refrigerating, you'll have as many or more who will freak out if you DO wash them.

I keep mine in a cool part of the basement, but people who buy my eggs know how I treat them, and washing them is a big no-no with my customers too. Clean nest boxes, dirt wiped off as I gather them, though there is rarely any to be honest... and cool though not refrigerated storage. I do suggest that people wash them before they crack them to use 'em.

5. DebsChicks

DebsChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:This is a very interesting article. Thanks for posting it!

6. burquechick

burquechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    @ Choco Maran: very cool link. thanks!

7. SJensen

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    Thanks for these resources -- I will check them out right now. If anyone has other favorites, please post.!

8. CompostQueen

CompostQueen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2010
    Quote:What an interesting article! Thank you!

9. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    good link - thank you

10. SJensen

Jul 29, 2009
    South Surrey
    This article was good. Anyone else know of any other well-respected resources on the topic of washing/refrigerating eggs? I'd like to post a couple links on my blog for my non-chicken-community friends and family.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by