Unrelenting Squawking and Severe Retractions in 2 week old

Joannimal

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2017
Hi, my little buff Cochin started making lots of noise yesterday; she is yelping with an open beak and breathing so heavily it jerks her body, like a human infant with breathing problems. She is still pretty vigorous, so I thought it might be something that she ate that got stuck somewhere going down. I am a newcomer to chicken anatomy but I didn't palpate anything obvious. My husband thought it might be like croup and let her stay in the steamy bathroom while he washed off from his day in the garden, and then nursed her through the night, encouraging here to drink and keeping her warm in her own private brooder. She slept some but now is at it again, acting as if whatever spirit moves roosters to crow has mounted her and will not let her free...what do I do?

Can you post a video to youtube or other host and put the link here? Sometimes being able to see is helpful. It may be stridor, which is from a partially blocked airway. Look in her mouth and throat to see if you see anything obvious, make sure nothing is wrapped around the tongue. Sometimes it's as simple as a bit of feed getting stuck and it will resolve, but could also indicate an illness.

I am puzzled about how to look into a chicken's throat.. and even more puzzled about how to post a video to youtube. The chick looks normal except it is squawking and opening its beak slightly and swaying a little with each squawk. I don't have endoscopic capabilities here, we are just a small enterprise. Last basic life support certification neglected to cover Chicken Heimlich...

Just open the beak and look as best you can, no endoscopy required. Just looking for something obvious. They have been known to get a string or hair wrapped around the tongue and swallow it, which can sometimes even cause them to swallow their tongue. Once the string is removed all is well. Just a possibility. For youtube you have to make an account (free), then at the top of the page is a tiny camera icon, clicking that will let you upload a video. Is she eating and drinking on her own?

Is she still separated from the rest of the chicks ? Try placing her back in with the others to see if she calms down. @coach723 has given good advice what to rule out. Constant squawking might be a sign of pain, being cold, too hot, or missing her friends.

Hi, @coach723 and @Excessive. Thanks for your advice. I looked in her throat like you suggested, nothing remarkable. She is separated from the other chicks at night so we can ensure she gets extra care, but we have been putting her in with her sisters in the day. She cries a lot either way. She continues to eat a little and we are encouraging her to drink with a little syringe. She doesn't really seem exhausted or depressed, but she doesn't do much besides stand and squawk. Her respirations remain labored. I guess I'll just keep on with the TLC...

Sorry @Eggcessive for the misspelling. I wish there were a way to switch off the spellchecker on this thing!!! I would load a video as @coach723 suggested but I am rather slow at the tech stuff. It's lovely to be able to get this kind of help and I am learning ways to communicate in this brave new world every day...

Back
Top Bottom