Unreliable Laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Zahboo, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    My Mottled Cochins started laying in March. They laid everyday, both of them did. Starting in May I'd get maybe one egg, then 3 weeks no egg, then 2 days with eggs and no eggs again! Any hints? They eat oystershell and Layena.

2. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    I'm thinking maybe the heat? My dependable layers are hardly laying at all even when they were regularly laying all through the cold winter here...[​IMG]

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    [​IMG] But mine are doing the same thing. I wonder if it may have something to do with the heat and the fact that I have 5 nest boxes and 4 broody hens that I have to run off the nest every hour.. They hog the boxes and squeel like velociraptors when any chicken or thing even comes close to the nest boxes..

4. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    It's hot outside but not in their coop. They are in breeder pens. The rooster isn't rough and they have fans. It's relatively cool in the coop, my dog even prefers it [​IMG] Cochins do get hot easily, but they haven't been panting since we cranked on the fans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by