1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unresponsive chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Isaac98H, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Isaac98H

Isaac98H New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Lecompton, Kansas
    Hello everyone. I'm a 17 year old boy from Kansas who got his first set of chicks yesterday. My mom (this whole chicken endeavor was her idea) brought home 16 chicks of mixed breeds. They've all been doing fine except for two. Right now I've got one who's completely unresponsive. She can't stand, her eyes are closed, and her breathing sounds labored. This was super sudden, as she was completely fine two hours ago. We lost the other to a similar thing last night, and I really don't want to lose any more. Any help as to what this might be or how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes that you can put in their water? Gatorade, pedialyte, or sugar water will do in a pinch. Dip the chick's beak , letting it swallow as often as possible tonight and in the morning. Use a dropper or syringe to the side of it's beak if it won't drink. Make sure it is warm enough, around 90 degrees F, but not too hot. Make sure it does not have poop stuck to it's vent or butt, and wash it off if needed.

3. Isaac98H

Isaac98H New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Lecompton, Kansas
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a shot

4. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Make sure they are not too hot or too cold. Do you have a set-up where they can stay warm but get away from the heat when they need too?

5. Isaac98H

Isaac98H New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Lecompton, Kansas
    Yes. They have a heat lamp in the corner of their brooding box, but the
    rest of the box is open if they want to escape the heat.

6. mlinke

mlinke Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    I have a chick that I am currently working with that had/has similar issues. I was told by our local vet that specializes in farm animals to try oxytetracycline. It is an antibiotic that will help get any infection out. Giving that to her in her water along with save a chick electrolytes. They also suggested SLOWLY offering baby food vegetables in a dropper but not to force the food or the chick will aspirate. She seems to be doing better! Time will tell. Hope this helps! Good luck with your chicks

7. mlinke

mlinke Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2016
    Louisville, TN
    Forgot to mention only giving the antibiotics mix every four hours

8. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Hows the chick doing?

9. Isaac98H

Isaac98H New Egg

Apr 15, 2016
    Lecompton, Kansas

We've been giving her Gatorade and she drinks that just fine. She can now stand up, her eyes have opened, and she's even moving around a bit. Massive improvement from where she was yesterday. Still can't get her to eat anything though :(

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Now that she is drinking, put down some paper towel, and sprinkle some of the chick crumbles around her feet. She should start pecking at it out of curiosity. I am glad to hear that she is better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by