Unresponsive chick

Isaac98H

Hatching
Apr 15, 2016
Lecompton, Kansas
Hello everyone. I'm a 17 year old boy from Kansas who got his first set of chicks yesterday. My mom (this whole chicken endeavor was her idea) brought home 16 chicks of mixed breeds. They've all been doing fine except for two. Right now I've got one who's completely unresponsive. She can't stand, her eyes are closed, and her breathing sounds labored. This was super sudden, as she was completely fine two hours ago. We lost the other to a similar thing last night, and I really don't want to lose any more. Any help as to what this might be or how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Do you have some SaveAChick vitamins with electrolytes that you can put in their water? Gatorade, pedialyte, or sugar water will do in a pinch. Dip the chick's beak , letting it swallow as often as possible tonight and in the morning. Use a dropper or syringe to the side of it's beak if it won't drink. Make sure it is warm enough, around 90 degrees F, but not too hot. Make sure it does not have poop stuck to it's vent or butt, and wash it off if needed.

Hello everyone. I'm a 17 year old boy from Kansas who got his first set of chicks yesterday. My mom (this whole chicken endeavor was her idea) brought home 16 chicks of mixed breeds. They've all been doing fine except for two. Right now I've got one who's completely unresponsive. She can't stand, her eyes are closed, and her breathing sounds labored. This was super sudden, as she was completely fine two hours ago. We lost the other to a similar thing last night, and I really don't want to lose any more. Any help as to what this might be or how to treat it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Make sure they are not too hot or too cold. Do you have a set-up where they can stay warm but get away from the heat when they need too?

I have a chick that I am currently working with that had/has similar issues. I was told by our local vet that specializes in farm animals to try oxytetracycline. It is an antibiotic that will help get any infection out. Giving that to her in her water along with save a chick electrolytes. They also suggested SLOWLY offering baby food vegetables in a dropper but not to force the food or the chick will aspirate. She seems to be doing better! Time will tell. Hope this helps! Good luck with your chicks

Now that she is drinking, put down some paper towel, and sprinkle some of the chick crumbles around her feet. She should start pecking at it out of curiosity. I am glad to hear that she is better.

Back
Top Bottom