Unresponsive chicken hides in the corner, lathargic

Rachel Johnson

Hatching
Dec 30, 2017
Hi everyone,
I have a flock of 7 layers, part way through their 2nd laying round, and one of my girls, a rhode isLand red, has been un social, not eating, and hiding in a corner. Any thoughts?

I am no expert but she sounds very sick.
There will be lots of questions....
When did she last lay?
How long has she been acting off?
What does her poop look like?
Is there an odor from her mouth?
When she does move around does she walk like a penguin?

Those are starter questions.

Pictures will be extremely helpful too.

I will try to call a few people in.

@Wyorp Rock
@azygous
@casportpony
@aart

I think this hen is in dire need.

Welcome to BYC...sorry you are having troubles.

21HIC has asked great questions that need to be answered.
Knowing your location/climate is important info too.

This is what I do with a bird like that:
I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor her intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and her poops. Feel her abdomen for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.

I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

part way through their 2nd laying round, and one of my girls, a rhode isLand red, has been un social, not eating, and hiding in a corner.

Hi @Rachel Johnson :frowWelcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear that your hen is not doing well.
@21hens-incharge and @aart have asked some great questions and made excellent suggestions.

I agree with bringing her in or placing her somewhere warm -especially if you are in the US with all this cold weather.

More information and photos/video are always helpful, so if you can answer some of the questions asked previously that would be great.

You mention she is part way through the 2nd laying round, so....is she somewhere around 2yrs old and has gone through her molt? I'm not that great with timelines, so correct me if wrong.

Check her crop to see if it's hard, soft, squishy or her breath is sour. Look through her feathers for any parasites. Also while you are examining her, feel the abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid and just to make sure carefully look for any bruising, cuts or other injuries that could be a contributing factor to her behavior.

Getting her hydrated if most important, so see if she will drink for you. After she is drinking, then offer food. If you have electrolytes or poultry vitamins those can be added to the water.

Let us know how she is doing.

I know that sounds like a lot, but unless you have a vet that can see her, what you have to do with chickens is eliminate possibilities, since there are so many things that can go wrong.

Last edited:
Thank you, thank you! I appreciate all your help she's in my house now, is drinking water on her own, making little chicken noises, and eating. Her crop is washed out, and she has diarrhea. I have a Manna Pack for diarrhea that she's eating, and she's by near the wood stove. I'll give her a vinegar/water bath next. I didn't see any swelling, bloating or other signs. Praise the Lord! Thank you all for your help. I'll post again later with more updates We have life in my girl again

Back
Top Bottom