Unresponsive silkie from turkey attack?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by favoritekitty, Sep 9, 2009.

1. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I just posted in the turkey forum about a possible attack from two hens on my silkie girl. Her head is picked of feathers, she was bleeding near her ear, and is unresponsive. Is there anything I can do for her? Pain medicine? I just started a heating pad under her.

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm so sorry, I wish I had an answer. Hope someone comes along soon, to help you out. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:What do you mean by unresponsive. Coma or just quiet and in shock?

Keep her quiet and warm.
    Stop the bleeding.
    You can use something like neosporin without pain relief on the wound, and aspirin for pain. Good luck

Imp- I'm going to go get the link for the aspirin.

http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. favoritekitty

favoritekitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I gave her about half a 1 ml syringe of aspirin. It was one 81 mg aspirin dissolved as much as possible in 1/4 cup of water. She did make the swallowing gestures when I put it in her mouth. She is breathing, lays limp in my hands, but is moving her eyes behind closed lids, and twitching every so often. I don't know what you would call the state she is in. Shock, certainly. I have her in my lap on a medium set heating pad and a towel draped over her back. The top part of her body feels cool to the touch. What else can I do for her?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Boy, Sorry to hear that. I'm not that experienced at the medical stuff. Sounds like you're doing what you can.
    Here's a list of questions that can help people answer you.
    Chickens are pretty tough, and I've read some surprising stories here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

Imp- fingers crossed for you and your chicken. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by