Unresponsive Sleeping Hen

kazhays

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2018
Oahu, Hawai'i
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Ameraucana hen, 3-4 years old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

The hen was found sleeping on the ground, breathing but not responsive to our voices/touch. She is normally very afraid of humans and would run away if we got close. We picked her up, still unresponsive, but clearish liquid dripping out of her butt slowly.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

She was perfectly fine last night, it's now morning at 8:52 AM. According to our security camera footage she walked around the coop a lot this morning after waking up, drank water a few times, then sat down to sleep.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?

No, we have three other hens.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

No.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

No knowledge.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

Water this morning, not sure if ingested.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.

Poop in the coop last night all normal, but now all runny liquid one drop at a time.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

None except moving her into a padded box to sleep more comfortably.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Visiting farm supply store soon, willing to bring to a vet if necessary.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

IMG_7548-1.jpeg

FullSizeRender-2.jpeg

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

She is often the only of four chickens to sleep inside our coop, the others sleep on a bar outside. Sand is the floor and it has been this way for 1+ year.

I'm sorry your hen is not well. This would be a trip to the vet, if you are of that mindset.

It's not something normal at all. Has she been laying lately? The white liquid could be albumin (egg white) which may indicate she is egg bound.

You can palpitate her abdomen to see if you feel a lump.

Usually egg bound hens will walk around in a penguin stance, not lay down unresponsive though. Becoming unresponsive occurs only after the egg has not been dislodged for several days and bacteria builds up.

She sounds to be at critical point with immediate assistance at the vet if you are not able to care.

My thoughts.
LofMc

What is the temperature like where you live? A sick hen typically needs a little extra warmth. Can you look her over closely to make sure there isn’t an injury? Could she have gotten into a toxin? If you have the means, I suggest taking her to a vet. We may not be able to help you figure it out in time.

I hate to say this, but please be prepared to possibly lose this hen. If you do, you can send her in for necropsy. I’m sorry.

Very weird. So it sounds as if her breathing is perfectly normal? And the liquid, is it like egg white at all (so that she might have had an egg broken inside)? Is she hot, as if she has a temperature?

Try a warm soak with Epsom salt, and check, she could have a broken egg or be internally laying, check and see how her abdomen feels.
Has your flock been dewormed lately? an internal parasite overload can cause a whole host of issues

Back
Top Bottom