Unruly Chickens

irladd

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
Eastleigh, Hants, UK
Hi as I have only had my chickens for a week I decided to clean put the coop yesterday as it was a bit dirty. I changed the straw in the nesting box and in the coop relaxed the wood shavings and newspaper. Ever since then the girls are taking the straw and putting it in the main coop leaving nothing in the nesting box. I have put it back a couple of times and even topped it up but they are still moving it. Any ideas welcome. Many thanks. Ian.

I've had this happen as well and I don't know if there is a solution. Some of my girls simply rake out the straw until it's all gone. I think it's a matter of them trying to make the nest just right by hollowing it out - I don't think they are kicking it out because they don't like it. I switched to field hay which they either like better or because it's longer is harder for them to kick out. They seem to like this. Good luck to you.

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

My hens do exactly the same thing with straw and shavings

Just like redsoxs I put hay in the nests and it has helped a lot :)

Thanks guys for your replies. Very helpful. But I did read somewhere that hay was not good for a chickens respiratory system and that's why straw is reccomended. Is this true?

welcome-byc.gif

I use good quality horse hay and change the nests frequently. My hens love when you put new hay in and immediately start walking on each other to get in the nests first.

Wet hay will mold and get dusty/musty. That is bad for anyone. Just keep it good and clean and you should have no problems. I have been using hay for 25 years and my chickens are happy and healthy :) Hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom