Unsafe freeway drivers....

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by thebritt, Sep 18, 2009.

1. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    My DH was driving a big rig (has been a driver for 30+ years) near Stockton, Ca. yesterday am. He was behind another tractor-trailer in the truck lane, going 50-55mph. Well, you know how important it is for every car to pass a big rig in order to beat it to an off-ramp. A string of cars passes and cuts off the truck in front of him. Truck slams on the brakes (that's how close those stupid drivers were when cutting him off). Truck ahead stops - it had an empty trailer. DH's truck is carrying 86,000lbs of lumber. It does NOT stop. Luckily, he drove a conventional (long-nosed) tractor, as his truck slid into and UNDER the trailer in front. He said it all happened in slow motion - could see the sun reflecting off the pieces of windshield glass as the whole windshield shattered. His truck finally stopped with the back of the trailer a few feet from his windshield frame. The motor and transmission of his truck dropped onto the freeway. He was wearing his seatbelt, and was NOT INJURED [​IMG] ! WHY DON'T PEOPLE REALIZE HOW DANGEROUS IT IS TO MESS WITH BIG TRUCKS? They can't stop on a dime due to physics! If a car had been between the 2 trucks (you also know how important it is to "shoot the gap" between vehicles trying to leave a safe distance between them and the next car - 2 seconds, right?), it would have been PULVERIZED! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I swear, the MOST STUPID drivers are here in Ca.!

2. HarlansHollowFarms

HarlansHollowFarms bana-bhuidseach anns gára

Jan 16, 2009
    Quote:They are everywhere, not just in CA.

3. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

I'm so glad your DH wasn't injured! Bet he had to change his drawers, though. I know I would.

[​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We breed specialty idiots here in California. Dude, like I didn't know I would totally cut you off like that, dude.

5. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    And people wonder why truckers seem to cause accidents. I personally dont know any truckers, but I think they are probably some of the best, safest drivers on the road. It's a shame people don't give these men and woman the space and respect they deserve. Glad to hear hubby was ok.

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My parents were in an accident by a big truck driver. He was cited. The accident eventually led to my father's death. My mother is still suffering.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We don't drive a big rig, but we do use a dually to pull a very large horse trailer. The whole rig weighs in at about 26000 pounds. We will be cruising down the interstate, and people will hurry up and get in front of us and immediately slow down. I can't tell ya how many idiots we have almost rear ended.

8. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    Yes people are dumb.... try being the school bus they are trying to get around on the freeway!

I have many truckers who are friends, and ex husband as well as ex boyfriend....

Sorry to say this but......... your DH was probably too close to the truck in front of him.....

Thank goodness he is okay and that is the bulk of what is important!

But he will probably get a preventable accident on his work record.

9. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Glad DH is okay and that he is a skilled driver!

10. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    Quote:Put it this way - trucks try to leave enough of a safe distance between themselves and the vehicle ahead. In this case, with 86,000lbs on the trailer, he would need to leave 1 football field (100 yards) between them. Do you think for a second, that some jerk wouldn't shoot the gap in order to pass on the right? Believe me, when many drivers see an opportunity to pass, they do. If a car had been between the 2 trucks, we'd be having a different and significantly more morbid discussion right now!
    Funny you mention school busses - this afternoon in town, there was an older car - made of steel - with its front end folded up. It had hit a school bus stopped at a light. The school bus was on it's way TO school, and had no kids aboard, but the car was TRASHED! IDIOT!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by