1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

unsatisfied geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by TeamChaos, Jun 24, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I moved my 2 toulouse geese ( 3 months old) and 4 ducks (2 runner, 2 welsh harlequin) out to their pond three days ago (it's fenced and safe, they've got a big secure stall in the barn for nighttime). Needless to say, the ducks are THRILLED! The geese, on the other hand, swim a little bit and snack a little bit in their yard, but spend most of the day standing at the fence watching me. When I do chores up around the barn yard, they walk along with me and when I sit on the ground, the geese come close to snack on my clothing. They are not nearly the bossy, independent piggies they were in my back yard- are they starving? overwhelmed?

2. BullCreek

BullCreek Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Pacific NW
    Were they able to see you out doing chores when they lived in the backyard? Maybe they just want your attention? My geese are normally out exploring their pen, playing in their pool, napping, eating, giving the chickens the evil eye... This is all when they don't know I'm watching. If they see me, they line up at the fence and watch me. If I don't pay attention to they, they'll honk a couple times to try and get me to come over. If I still ignore them, they'll often just lie down next to the fence and continue watching. It can be a little unnerving to get that "I'm being watched" feeling, and turn around to see all those little faces staring intently in your direction... [​IMG]

3. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    They could see me when they were in the backyard, they just really didn't care about what I was doing [​IMG] They were busy making the ducks march through the yard etc. Now, they look for me and seem to want my company (whereas before they were clearly 'too cool' to hang out with me).

4. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    They probably just need a few months(!) to get used to the new place. Geese are creatures of habit, and moving has broken their routines.

When my goose is at home, he generally ignores me and minds his own business. He'll just come running for treats once in a while. When we're somewhere else (like across the street where he's been a hundred times) he'll stay close to me or at least keep me within eyesight. It seems he just feels safer at home. In completely new places he almost stays on my feet.

5. TeamChaos

Nov 8, 2009
    Glad to hear it's normal! I'm beginning to think it's a social survival instinct- they realize I run the show in the barnyard, so they figure that if they are my little sidekicks- they'll be respected too. It's actually working; they've gotten good at putting the adolescent roosters in their place and they can tell the lambs to "Get lost" when they play too close to the pond. I'm amazed at how confident geese are, but they are sensitive too- I've learned that I can't correct them too sharply or they get shaken and hide. (I yelled "hey" and pointed my finger at Henri Lautrec when he was getting nippy with a chicken and he hid behind the barn door until I sat down and coaxed him out with animal crackers. The geese do just fine with an "uh oh" in a normal speaking voice). Man, I love these birds. Thanks again!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Just like all kids-- the older they become the "more intelligent" their parents become. [​IMG] They have discovered that you are cool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by