1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unsettled and fighting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by venus, Sep 7, 2014.

1. venus

venus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2013
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Can you please help with suggestions?

I've got 4 brown shavers who have been together since day one and are nearly two years old. Yesterday the one that has just gone through a full moult (it's just coming into spring here in NZ) starting attacking two of the others. She has brought blood on the comb of one of them. Is it just a "who rules the roost" fight in spring?

I partitioned her off from the others last night in the same coop. When I let her in with the others again this morning she laid her egg then went straight in for a fight again. I've put her in a separate cage for the day whilst I go to work. They can still see each other and call to each other as they're about 10 feet away. It's noisy!!

How long should I separate them for? Should I try reintroducing her every day? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This might work better if you separate her for about a week, out of sight and hearing of the others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by