Unsold chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rancher hicks, May 15, 2010.

1. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    1. What do you do with your unsold chicks?
    Right now I have some Delaware chicks and I refuse to give them away cheap. I would rather cull them (yes that's what i mean) than give them away.

2. I do have some hatchery hens of different breeds should I eat them or sell them and if so what's a fair price?

3. How many have "dual purpose" breeds that really are? Each of my breeds, SLW and GLW and DOM, AUS aren't really all that big for 14 months old. They are hatchery hens.

4. How long do you wait to decide a chick won't sell before culling?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Mine always sell, sooner or later. Sometimes you can make a package deal to make a certain unttractive bird find a new home a lot easier. Three pullets for $20, something like that. I'd rather have a twenty than a scrawny little dead chick.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    how much are you asking for them? I dont sell my birds cheap either and will hold onto them until the do sell. if you are gonna eat them I say culling is fine as long a you have a meal out of it. [​IMG]

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Right now I have a few chicks due to broody hens. But I breed Delawares and I don't want to let them go cheap. I don' t have hatchery stock. I will be more diligent about broodies though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by