Unsteady and limping chickens, loosing control of legs.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by vbeale, Feb 21, 2014.

1. vbeale

vbeale Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    Hello. A few weeks ago one of my hens started to seem very unsteady on her feet, her right leg just seemed to give way beneath her. To be safe we separated her from the other chickens. She progressively got worse until she seemed to have no control over her legs whatsoever and they just flailed around at odd angles.
    After 3 days in a row of coming home from work to find her stuck on her back I decided to put her out of her misery.
    I have just looked out of my window to see one of my roosters displaying the same behaviour that my hen started with. He can walk if he needs to but with a limp, if there is no need for him to rush he seems to try and stand up but the right leg gives way beneath him.
    I have also been battling mites over the past few weeks. The coop has been cleaned and powdered for the past two weeks and will be doing it again tomorrow. Could the two issues be linked?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

2. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    When your hen was progressively losing control did she keep one leg behind her, kind of stretched out? How was she eating and drinking? Is the rooster eating and drinking well?

3. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    Hi, both had no problems eating and drinking, but yes one leg kept kicking out behind her at quite an unnatural angle

4. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    It wasn't out behind her all the time. It seemed to only do it if she tried to walk or if I picked her up

5. alaskanchickens

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
  6. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    I have just been out to check on him. I noticed that when he is standing or walking, his rear end kind of points down so his rail feathers are pointing at the floor. Almost like he his hunched over.

7. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    Thank you, I will check it out

8. alaskanchickens

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    With him being in that position, is the wing hanging down some almost as to balance himself? Does he lay down onto his opposite side?

9. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    His wing isn't hanging down and he isn't laying on a side. But considering the similarities to the other hen recently I'm thinking it must be mareks. I can't imagine it is a deficiency. They free range and have access to all sorts of tucker.

10. vbeale

Feb 17, 2014
    Te Awamutu, New Zealand
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by