Unsuccessful introduction

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Missy3b, May 30, 2010.

1. Missy3b

Missy3b Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Central Missouri
    Yesterday I tried to put my 3 1/2 month old girls in with my established hens at sunset. There was a lot of pecking going on and when I watched them this morning, again, there was a lot of pecking. My poor babes were all hiding in the corners to get away. My 9 year old went in the run and picked up one of the peckers and poked her a few times and said"now you know how it feels". We finally took them out.

The babies free range with the hens on a daily basis. Should I wait until they are closer to laying age and try again? Should I let this pecking go on as long as no one gets seriously hurt? Should I try again and stop worrying so much?

Last edited: May 30, 2010
  2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    What I do, and Im not saying you should, but it works for me, is I put the teenagers, 3-4 months old, in the free range pen and coop. I have a place where they can get under the laying boxes, and get away from the hens if they have to. They just gradually integrate themselves into the flock as they grow older. It has been more difficult for me to integrate fully grown birds into the flock, they always seem to be outcasts. Youngsters seem to do better. But thats just me. YMMV.

3. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    In my experience, it stops after a couple of days. All it amounts to usually, is that they are laying down the law on pecking order. Once that has been established, it's smooth sailing.

4. Missy3b

Missy3b Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Central Missouri
    It is painful to watch. Especially for my son, as these are his babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by