unsupervised ducks

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by duckophile1998, Mar 13, 2019.

1. duckophile1998

duckophile1998 In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2019
    the house i moved into has a garden and a pretty sturdy fence.

during the weekdays, i leave for college and my parents go to work and no one is home. we have two other pets who stay outside: an ancient dog and a young siamese cat.

is it okay to allow my ducks to walk around the garden when the humans are away? i hope my cat will be able protect them.

this is the first time i have lived in a suburban setting since 7 years ago and i don't know what kind of predators are around. raccoons come out at night so they will be in their shed during dark. the fence is sturdy so i don't think foxes will be a problem where i live. that just leaves neighborhood pets and falcons.

2. Your cat is not going to protect them. If the yard is in fact super secure with a fence, then you need to worry about hawks and falcons and eagles. A real risk.

3. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    If you have a dog and cat to protect them, they should be fine. I don't think hawks would go for ducks?

4. Also, the dog and cat could attack the ducks....

5. Why not?

6. Shamo Hybrid

Shamo Hybrid Songster

Jun 6, 2018
    They are too big?

7. The mallard variants are lighter than most mid-range chickens. They top out in the 4-5 pound range. Rouen are 6-8 pounds, which is prime chicken weight. Runners are 3-5 pounds.

8. duckophile1998

duckophile1998 In the Brooder

Feb 13, 2019
    the dog weighs 10 pounds and is so ancient that she goes outside to go pee and instantly forgets why she was out there. i honestly think a 4-pound runner could beat her in a fight. she is 16 this year.

the cat does like to kill small animals, but i'm hoping that the ducks are tall enough that he will be intimidated by them. a male runner is usually about 30" tall.

9. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Songster

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    A hawk could easily kill a duck.

10. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chook Snuggler

May I ask your general location, to determine types of native raptors? Also, what breed are the ducks?

While eagles and cats can be a risk, it's highly unlikely. Predation of domestic fowl isn't usually instinctive for either, unless nourishment happens to be scarce, and desperation sets in. Falcons could probably do some damage, considering their diet (Peregrine Falcons, at least, since I'm unsure of your region) consists of small rodents, waterfowl, other hawks, ect.. Ducks are listed specifically as preferred prey.

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: