1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unsure breeds within my mixed integrated flocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by krabed2007, Jan 25, 2017.

1. krabed2007

krabed2007 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    Hello! I'm wondering if what the previous owners told me about the breed was accurate. Granted they didn't remember or know for sure, or maybe that's what they were told and like me doesn't know better. However, I've been researching my breeds and that's why I'm here now, in the descriptions part one a few something is off, shanks, waddles, coloring, etc.
    Tia!

I'm going to add the chickens separately in hopes to make it leas confusing and I can also include what info I do know about them.

This is Jr
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The male looks like a possible Welsummer. What were you told he was?

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    x2, Jr looks to be a Welsummer to me as well.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. krabed2007

krabed2007 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    They said he was a RIR, but a breeder i know said no because of his black underneath? Is that the plumage? Anyhow if so he's not black at all he's green under there. Also someone told me he was a black copper maran but he has yellow shanks. I think you guys are right though, he matches a welsumner description

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Green is usually just a sheen in how black feathers reflect light.

If you take the likely breeds and go to the links I gave you, you'll see lots of pictures of each breed in both males, females and various age chicks.

7. krabed2007

krabed2007 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016

Thank you so much. I'm sorry still a newbie at this, first year chicken momma!

8. krabed2007

krabed2007 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    I was finally able to catch my flock running around the last few days to get some good photos of them all.

This is Ms. Taffy. She supposed to be a buff lakenvelder. She's pretty small, not as small as my bantams but quite smaller then my standards. She's a great layer of smaller white eggs, almost daily. She's very timid and flighty but getting so much better. She allows me to pick her up sometimes, eat from my hand and doesn't run away as fast as she can anymore. She even knows her name I think.

[​IMG]

9. krabed2007

krabed2007 Just Hatched

Oct 4, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by