Unsure if it's ok...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Splinty, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Splinty

Splinty Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    I have 3, 5 week old chicks. 1 barred rock, 1 buff orph & 1 white rock. I was wondering if it's ok to get a Golden buff started pullet and put them together. I was just looking on Meyers Hatchery website and they have them ready to lay, fully vaccinated and heeled trimmed. Will they all get along or is it better to wait till the other 3 are at laying age or even till next spring. Any help is appreciate. Thank You
    While looking at the ship date the pullet wouldn't get here till the week of Aug, 21st. At that time my chicks will be 10 weeks old. If this will work I still have to persuade my husband into letting me get 1 more chicken.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It might work, depends on the personalities of the chickens. I would want to have a place to separate them if needed.

3. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    From what I have noticed with mine they will nipp at each other for about a week or so.

4. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
  5. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Quote:Thank you for the link. After talking more to my husband about we came to the conclusion that we would just wait till these 3 are older and close to not laying anymore then start with the next batch. We are only allowed to have 6 hens in our town so if we build a retirement coop for the ones we have now when they get old we can just keep rotating them.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  6. Splinty

Jun 14, 2011
    New York
    Thank you everyone for responding to my question [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by