Unsure if lock down too soon...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Teloka, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Teloka

Teloka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    I normally post on this thread that I started here ( https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750468/new-australian-hatching-mystery-egg-at-home ) but I'm feeling super anxious about if I locked my egg down too soon? Is that really dangerous to do?

I think it is a duck egg, and locked it down yesterday with an expected 3 (or maybe four) days to go-- I'm not 100% sure on its development though because it had an unstable first day or two. It might also not even be a duck, it could be a peafowl or a wild turkey, but most likely candidate is a native duck.

It's been in lock down two days now and no movement or pipping, and when I looked last night I couldn't see any internal pip either. I'm trying not to touch it and not to panic, but I thought I would see if there is anything else I should be doing or if I should lower the humidity until I can see an internal pip? I haven't candled or turned it for a few days and have been mostly leaving it alone except to peer intently into the incubator and check the humidity.

This is my first incubation of anything so maybe I'm just panicking because I feel like there's nothing I can do, but I saw some folks saying that duck eggs can rock up to three days before hatching, and mine is due in two and isn't moving visibly from the outside.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    LEAVE IT ALONE. Keep the humidity at 60%, the temp at 100 and wait at least another 3 days before you touch it again!

... you remind me of me... five years ago.

3. Teloka

Mar 4, 2013
    Okay! I will do that. Thank you very much.

I can keep the humidity at 60% no problems, but my temperature is lower than that. I read 37.5 for incubation of ducks, and dropped it to 37 for lock down. 100'f tells me it is 37.7'c! Do I need to raise the temperature?

Sorry if I am freaking out unnecessarily, I only have the one egg that we found abandoned on the door step, so I am very anxious to do the best that I can for it. Thank you very much for your response though.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sorry... keep it at 37.5... and stop freaking.... [​IMG]

5. Teloka

Mar 4, 2013
    Okay! Thank you very very much. I will bump the temperature back up to 37.5 and try to just sit on my hands hahaha. I'm so keen to do what is best for it, but have no experience to go on, so it is nerve-wracking! I hope it moves or does something within the next three days or I am really going to start freaking out!

Thank you so much for your help though, super anxious first timer here. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by