1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unsure of breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JasonCavinee, Feb 20, 2016.

1. JasonCavinee

JasonCavinee New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    Perryton Ohio
    A buddy of mine gave me 6 hens a few weeks ago he told me they were 3-barred rocks and 3-easter eggers I know 3 are BR and 2 are EE but one looks different is a little bigger than the rest not sure how old they are and they are not laying yet any help would be great[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    possibly a campine (I don't know what standards are for the breed) but EE are basically mutts of the chicken world they can be any mix , any color, shape, leg color, feathers vs. non feathered feet, muffs no muffs, beard, no beard, tufts no tufts, etc. My main guess is just an odd EE.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    I had an Easter Egger that looked just like that. Not a Campine, they have single combs and white earlobes.

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    ok the feather pattern looked similar but i didn't know the comb, leg color, or earlobes

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

She looks like an Easter egger to me, just without the beard. Her pea comb means she's still likely to lay colored eggs for you. What a nice little flock [​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    easter egger

7. JasonCavinee

JasonCavinee New Egg

Feb 8, 2016
    Perryton Ohio
    Thanks for the info everyone being new to the chicken world i didn't realize easter eggers could look that much different or maybe I'm over looking the similarities do to lack of knowledge

8. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Easter eggers is not breed but rather a name given to a mixed breed bird that lays coloured eggs. They can therefore look very different to each other depending on which breeds were used as parent stock. They often have pea combs and green legs and beards but none of those are essential characteristics.

She's certainly a bonny bird.

9. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    I have a EE hen who looks just like that

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by