Unsure of breeds and age

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by dobbyfreerabbit, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dobbyfreerabbit

dobbyfreerabbit New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Hello all!

Well, these are my new chickies. I found them advertised online and the story seems to be that the parents bought them as day old chicks for the kids, but once they started getting feathers, the kids thought that they were ugly and didn't want them anymore...

When I asked about breeds, the lady said that they were "an Australian, an Island Red and a Brown". What to make of that!? Do they look like they could be an Australorp, a Rhode Island Red and an Isa Brown?

I was also told that they were 12 weeks old. I'm certainly no expert on chickens, and I haven't really been up close and personal with one for ~8 years, but do they look a little younger than that to other people?

The little brown one is also smaller and more "compact" than the other two. Is this likely just a breed thing? She eats well, so I don't think she's malnourished...

[​IMG]

Oh, and I've already seen first hand their omnivorous nature. A mouse (*grrrr*!) was at their feed, and they make short work of it. They also happily cleaned up the ants that were gathered around their food.

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    looks like it could be a australorp, what color are its feet bottoms? The red looks like a hatchery rir or production red, and the other looks like it is a red sexlink aka comment, isa brown, red star

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep: Australorp, ISA Brown, Production Red.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree on the breeds, and they all look female. The red sex link/isa brown is going to be a smaller-bodied bird, they usualy have leghorn in their ancestry to boost the egg production.

5. dobbyfreerabbit

dobbyfreerabbit New Egg

Jan 20, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks everyone for your replies! It sounds like they'll be good layers, then!

Ramirez - I actually don't know about feet bottoms. Apart from lifting them out of their box (and they pecked me!) and putting them in their coop, I've pretty much been giving them space. I've been observing them, but not touching them, as they're super scared of me. I realised after I posted it that it's probably not a very good photo for determining breed (apologies!), but I can't really get better photos at the moment without completely freaking them out.

donrae - thank goodness they're all female! I hadn't even considered the possiblility that I'd have a male in there. We can't have roosters where I live, so it would be pretty sad if we had a male. Thanks for the info re: the smaller body. I'm eagerly awaiting the many eggs from this chicky!

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    yellow feet bottoms mean jersey giant pinkish white means australorp [​IMG]

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with the others as well. Your Australorp will be bigger, so watch for bullying. :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by