Unsure of genders-Barred Rock, Prod. Red, Leghorns, Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mirth, Sep 27, 2011.

1. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    I don't know if this will work or not but I'm going to try to post a link to my photobucket acct so I can get some help with gender on everyone. When we bought the chicks we were told there was a 95% chance they were all pullets. But the more I read, and look at pictures on here, the more I think I may have a few roos. Also, I put on the pictures what we were told we were buying. We supposedly got 1 production red, 1 barred rock, 2 white leghorns and 2 Ameraucanas. Since I've never had chickens, I'm going by what the store said until I hear definitively otherwise. These pictures were taken yesterday and we got the birds on 9/4/11 so they are somewhere between 3-4 weeks old. If this works, I would appreciate any help in identifying who's who and what everyone is. Thank you!

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/Mirth25/?start=all

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

It's asking for a password to see the pics.

3. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    I had it set to private by mistake, it should be public now. So sorry, I'm new to all this [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Your BR is certainly a female. The others are a bit young yet, but I don't see anything roo-ish right now.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Your BR, Leghorn, and Production Red are all girls. The Easter Eggers (not Ameraucanas) are too young to tell but I wouldn't safely say the striped/light brown one is a girl. It might, it might not be a boy.

6. mirth

mirth Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2011
    Peoria, AZ
    Thanks for the responses. I'm so glad my br is a girl, I was most concerned about her and Red.

Illia-how do you tell the difference between an Ameraucana and an easter egger? I only ask because the store that sold them to us referred to them as Ameraucanas. Not that I think a seller necessarily knows exactly what they're selling in the first place, but I'm just curious.

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:You can only get true Ameraucana's from a breeder. If a hatchery or feed store is selling them to you, they are EE's. Also, you can tell by the coloring of yours that they are EE's.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by