unsure of snowflakes gender *silkie experts needed*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by storminstaffs, Jun 28, 2010.

1. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    I asked a while ago and was told pullet, so is she still a pullet she hatched out over the christmas period, she has a single comb

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  2. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I'm certainly not an expert, but that looks like a roo to me. The crest is way swept back like all my boys are. I'm sure someone more experienced than me will weigh in though!

3. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I agree with the person above. If it has a single comb isn't it a mix than? Or did it just somehow get the gene for it?

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm thinking roo too. The crest looks like it has streamers and the comb is pretty big. Silkies can have single combs if I remember correctly, but the walnut comb is preferred. If Sonoran or Sundown are on they can tell you better, they have fabulous silkies.

Suggestion, change your title to add "silkie experts" or something like that and you should get replies from the more knowledgeable silkie folk.

ETA One thing for sure with silkies, you can never tell till they crow or lay an egg. They are almost impossible to sex!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  5. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    she's definitely purebred as i owned all parents that were penned separate, guess i have to be patience and wait

6. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I have a lot of silkies from Bobbi Porto. All of my girls have crests that fluff around and over the faces. My roos all have this swept-back look and I can see their combs. My girls just look life fluff. Definitely keep an eye on this chick, but it absolutely looks like my silkie roos.

7. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'm not an expert but I say roo. It looks exactly like all the silkie boys I've had.

8. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Definitely a Roo. That comb is too big for a hen, and the type (body shape) says Roo all over it. He should start to crow soon.

9. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Yep, looks like a roo....

10. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Definitly a roo! Look at that comb and those streamers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by