Unsure of whats wrong with my prized Rooster

Rylieet

In the Brooder
Oct 21, 2020
Hi! I'm new here & I'm desperate to help my sweet boy. He's a Copper Maran & is 7 approximately months old, he's my only Rooster of the breed aside from my Silkie & Banty.

Okay so, yesterday I went out to do my normal rounds on the birds & feed. I got a momma on 9 eggs due to hatch in about 8 more days. Well my Rooster was laying down & all my birds are tuned to the noise my door makes when it opens & knows that it's time to eat & they all do their crazy chicken run to the edge of their pen. Okay sooooo, my sweet boy was down & when he tried to get up he really couldnt walk & kept falling down, almost like he lost a sense of his balance & he hurt his leg.

I brought him in, thoroughly looked him over & there are no outward signs of injury like cuts or bites. I had him sleep in the house in a crate lastnight, he still eats like normal & drinks. & still does his usual rooster crow at like 545 in the morning. His comb is not pale, he's not sickly or anything. He's just like lame?

I don't know how else to explain it other than I've check for bumblefoot, go over the symptoms for mareks, nothings broken, & there's no indication of either sickness.

So my question is, is there a possibility he sprained his leg/hip? Or do I need to dig deeper to find ankther possibility?

Anything helps, thank you!

It is definitely a possibility that he hurt his leg - maybe jumping down off the roost (or anything) and landing wrong. If you’ve ruled out mareks and other illness, I would keep him somewhere where he can reach food and water, but can’t walk around much so it has time to heal. You can give a chicken a half of a baby aspirin (not to be confused with children’s aspirin). That may help reduce inflammation and help him not be in pain.

I really hope so. I figured if I had him rest off his leg that was gimp it would help a little. So now I'm sitting in my kitchen woth my sweet love wrapped in a towel laying on the opposite side thats hurting lol.

It is definitely a possibility that he hurt his leg - maybe jumping down off the roost (or anything) and landing wrong. If you’ve ruled out mareks and other illness, I would keep him somewhere where he can reach food and water, but can’t walk around much so it has time to heal. You can give a chicken a half of a baby aspirin (not to be confused with children’s aspirin). That may help reduce inflammation and help him not be in pain.

Thank you! I will definitely look into that. I'm new to this whole chicken deal & got 26 chicks in March, one died still dont know the cause but the rest have flourished & are super healthy & spoiled lol. My honey says I spend more time with my durn chickens than I do him 😂

I really hope so. I figured if I had him rest off his leg that was gimp it would help a little. So now I'm sitting in my kitchen woth my sweet love wrapped in a towel laying on the opposite side thats hurting lol.
Aw, poor baby 😟 try the baby aspirin, half of one. My last injured chicken pecked it right out of the palm of my hand. You can also give him some scrambled eggs for comfort and extra protein to aid in the healing process.

Aw, poor baby 😟 try the baby aspirin, half of one. My last injured chicken pecked it right out of the palm of my hand. You can also give him some scrambled eggs for comfort and extra protein to aid in the healing process.

Thank you ❤ he's my prized boy & I absolutely adore him. I will try that!

Back
Top Bottom