1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unsure on 4 Easter Eggers Sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mylied, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Mylied

Mylied Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    The chicks are 11 weeks old and I seem to have a large number of roosters. There's only 1 I'm sure is a hen. These four I'm unsure of, though I'm hoping they are hens.
    [​IMG]
    These 3 black and whites in the front are in question. Their combs are a little pink, but not nearly as big or red as the known roosters.
    [​IMG]
    This brown and black one. It's comb is also not as big and red.

2. abenardini

abenardini Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2015
    Do they have pea combs? If so, you can look for the three rows indicating rooster. By the pics, it looks like they do have pea combs.

3. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    Yes, they all have pea combs. I'll look closer and see how many rows I see.

4. ambabya

ambabya Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    The white one up front with a lot of black looks like a roo. It's kinda hard to tell without a closer pic.

5. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I went and sat with them awhile. The black headed white one has irredecent tail feathers, so that's a roo. I'm fairly certain the middle white one with a fluffy neck is a hen. The other two are probably roos, but I'm going to hold out hope for a little longer. So out of 12 chicks, there's 2 hens, 2 uncertain, and 8 roos. I have super bad luck with straight run.

Anyone need a bunch of easter egger roosters? ;-)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Buying straight run, is how hatcheries dump a lot of their cockerel chicks- unless folks plain to eat the excess, straight run is no bargain.

7. Mylied

Mar 12, 2012
    Middle Georgia
    I got them from a local guy. He doesn't sex any except what is sex linked already. I'd hope it was just bad luck and not anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by