Unsure on breeds, please help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by paiglebob, Nov 30, 2014.

1. paiglebob

paiglebob Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2014
    Hello, my ISA brown hen got clucky awhile ago and as we had no rooster we swapped her eggs with eggs from a breeder a few houses away, we arent sure what breeds he has so we arent sure what chickens we have got. On the day the chicks hatched we were at our local fair and we bought some newly hatched chicks and put them under her, she adopted them all. She has 18 chicks they are all different colours and sizes there are 2 light brown ones,2 light brown ones with black stripey feathers, 1 patchy dark brown/black chick, 8 black chicks with yellow underneath (breeders eggs), 1 dark smokey grey chick, 1 lavendar white chick,1 all over speckly white (super plump), 1 all over white with black speckles on the neck, 1 all over white with a slight salmon tinge to feathers, they are now 5 weeks old and we are wanting to give some away so determining breeds would be great.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    There is no way to even begin to guess without at least seeing photos of them - and even then with not knowing what breeds the source was keeping it can still be a crap shoot. Take some pictures and post them here in your thread.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  3. paiglebob

Nov 30, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG] - light brown chicken

4. paiglebob

Nov 30, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG] - light brown with black stripey feathers

5. paiglebob

Nov 30, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG] - black chicks with yellow underneath

6. paiglebob

Nov 30, 2014
    [​IMG] - smokey grey chick

7. paiglebob

Nov 30, 2014
    [​IMG][​IMG] - white chick with slight salmon tinge

8. mawheat

mawheat New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    The first one looks like road island red I'm sorry meant the second one
    The Smokey grey might be blue wynodatte

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Depending on how the breeder keeps her chickens, they may not even be purebreeds--which would make identification nearly impossible.

However, these are my guesses:

Light brown chicken and light brown chicken with stripy feathers: Production Red or Rhode Island Red mix.
    Black chicks: Could be several black breeds (Australorp, Orpington, Jersey Giant, etc.) Based on popularity, I'm thinking Australorp.
    Smokey Gray chick: Possible a Black Ameraucana or an Easter Egger, since I think I see a pea comb.
    White chick with salmon tinge: Not sure. Best guess is a Delaware mix.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by