Unsure whats going on. Sores on beak and naked belly.

Beakadoodle

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
Hello, I'm brand new to BYC and I'm hoping to find to help with my current issue.
I have 8 chickens total. 3 we got in the spring of 2020. We also have five 15 week chicks that have been introduced to the flock of older girls.

I kept them in the same run but separated with wire for almost a month before letting them all together. There has been normal squabbling, but no bloodshed. For the last 2 weeks they have all been staying in the same coop at night. It has plenty of space and roosting. I have 2 waters and 3 feeders dispersed around the run that is 10 ft by 25ft. The younger chicks pretty much stay away from the big girls and seem terrified of them. But theres not been anything out of the normal from what I've read.

This afternoon when cleaning the coop I thought one of my older girls had dirt on her comb. But it was blood and what looked like sores. Then my son noticed my other older girl had a naked belly. Some feathers looked broken off in the middle of them. I'm super confused as to what could be going on. Are my older girls pecking each other? I've not noticed anything when they are in the run. It would have to be when they are behind closed doors. Only two of my older girls have signs of issues. My little isa brown Daisy has no signs of anything out of normal. I am also pretty sure she is alpha lady if that helps any. Although she's not mean to the others, but it's clear shes boss lady.

I hope I gave enough info. Any insight is appreciated. I will post photos.

Attachments

• 20210828_140426.jpg
    20210828_140426.jpg
    394.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210828_140418.jpg
    20210828_140418.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210828_140412.jpg
    20210828_140412.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 8
The sores are just peck marks from some other chicken.
The feather loss could be the perches. It happens. I would check to make sure the wood is smooth. It could also be that she's getting ready to go broody. They tend to pull feathers in that area. It doesn't look raw, so I wouldn't worry. Once she molts, the feathers will grow back.

Back
Top Bottom