Unsweetened jello for shipping?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Celtic Hill, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    could you put jello in a shipping box for the birds to keep them hydrated?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I suppose you could. It probably wouldn't harm them. I know that some people put a piece of melon in the shipping box for the birds to eat... [​IMG]

3. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Yeah i was thinking something like an adult bird gro-gel substance. I know if i were a bird i would have fun eating jello... haha

4. BeccaB00

BeccaB00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    Kansas
    Quote:[​IMG] Oh I would to. [​IMG] I'd be like ... "OH MAI GOSH. it's jello. [​IMG] "

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I usually throw in a wedge of cucumber.

6. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I hope this doesnt come off as rude ... Im not asking what to ship them with, i was just wondering if you put jello in the box for them would it do the same?

7. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I think it would be okay if it were in a dish, you could use a vitamin/electrolyte solution to mix it with instead of plain water, giving them an extra boost. But Jell-o does 'melt', so if it's just in the box I wouldn't try it. It would be too easy for it to seep through and damage the box. But hot glue a plastic dish in the bottom and I don't see why it wouldn't work. [​IMG]

8. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:Thanks! I think you could do something really good with it like put seeds in it or diced fruit, i like the vitamin/electrolyte solution!

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    Instead of making the jello with the normal recipe on the box, make "finger jello" so it won't melt so rapidly. The electrolyte instead of water idea is great, or maybe use Gatorade or Pedialyte?

10. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    What is finger jello? im going to try this!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by