Untame Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TK91, May 17, 2008.

1. TK91

TK91 New Egg

May 17, 2008
    Hello. I've finally convinced my parents to allow me to get two chickens as pets, and the bird keeper at my riding stable is allowing me to adopt two of their chicks. I believe they are Red Jungle Fowl/ Old English Game Bantam chicks, and they are not that tame. They were raised by their mother, and I was wondering if it will be possible to tame them with time. They will be living partly indoors in our finnished basement where they will be able to roam around down there, but will roost in a large, tall ferret cage. How would I go about taming these two? Also, if I allow them out the basement door in the day once they get acclimated, will they want to come home at night to roost and not in the tree? They are already excellent flyers. Oh, and I am not sure of their age, but they are old enough to not need heat and have been separanted from their mother for a few weeks now. Thank you!

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    Hi! [​IMG]
    The trick to taming them will be - treats, treats, and more treats!
    Steph

3. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm very new to chickens, but try to approach them slowly while speaking softly. Try to avoid making movements that are above their heads (they'll think you're a dangerous predator!). Lots of treats and lots of patience should have them eating out of your hands in no time!

Good luck with your chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by