1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unthrifty Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stacykins, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I have five chicks in the brooder right now. All are a week old. But one is much weaker and less robust than the others. The others are eating and drinking with gusto, running around and generally being chicks. This one, not so much. Mostly stays underneath the EcoGlow warmer. I just gave it some water mixed with molasses by doing a beak dip, because while the others are all active and have full crops, this one has an empty crop. Is there anything else I can do to boost the chick?

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sounds like you're doing what you can. There are also little packets you can buy at the feed store called "Chick Savers", and they have vitamins and electrolites in them that you could put in the chick's water. The molasses water is a good idea too.

I would just maybe pay it some extra attention, and hand feed it too. Some chopped boiled egg yolk would be a great idea for the chick to give it some extra protein. And chicks love it, so just make sure you hand feet that little one so it gets alot.

Sometimes though, you do get a chicks that looks totally fine, but has something that's not quite right internally, and they fade away. I hope this isn't the case for your little chick though!

I've had a chick or two that was a bit slower than the others too, and they've done just fine. I've also had a chick that stayed tiny for the longest time, while the other chicks grew twice as big, and they've been fine too.

Good luck with all your chicks!
    Sharon

3. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Thanks, I hope the little one pulls through. It is my favorite from this past hatch, I would be very sad to lose it.

I had been giving the chicks the electrolyte drink up until yesterday, when I ran out. It isn't much for few packets, so I'll keep on with it. I mean, the dextrose, b-vitamins, and whatnot can't hurt. I'd forgotten that egg yolk can be helpful, so I'll get right on with making some hard boiled eggs for handfeeding the little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by