Unturned Eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SportChick, Jul 14, 2010.

1. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    My turner was not working and I didn't notice it until day #11. I have 5 eggs left and they go into lock down in 2 days. I candled today and they are all moving in there. I am trying to tell if they move around the whole egg or are stuck to one side and I just can't tell.

Is there any hope that they might hatch?? I have 2 GLW who seem small in there when I candle and 3 BCM's that seem pretty big. I really am hoping to get a few hatched? What are my chances??

2. chickenguru

chickenguru Chirping

May 24, 2010
    Kentwood La.
    If they are all alive and still moving around in the
    egg you still have a 50/50 chance of the doing okay.

3. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    Any other opinions??

4. SportChick

SportChick Songster

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    So just for follow up. Of the 5 eggs that went into lockdown (I think it was the same 5 that I had on day of the original post), 3 have hatched and have no abnormality that I can detect. 1 egg is too dark to candle well but the air cell never expanded so I think it never developed very far and 1 egg was definitely moving on the day of lockdown so I'm giving it 1 more day.

Could have been much worse!

5. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Songster

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Glad to hear it turned out so well! And I'm interested in your outcome because I'm always curious about all the variables and it's wonderful to hear how hardy eggs really can be. Congrats on your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: