Unusual Behavior from Hen (?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4boysmom, Feb 21, 2009.

1. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    I've been down working in the rose bed which is beside the chicken coop. DH is tilling around the roses. Anyway....I was watching the hens & 1 of them is just standing around - she looks like she's in the "laying trance", but standing in middle of the coop. Granted, I've not had a lot of time to just watch my chickens with working full time & keeping house for 4 kids, etc....but I've never seen them do this before. Any ideas - is she napping or is something wrong.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:well in this case I will catch her and see if she is hard or easy to catch and see if she looks good or what's going on?
    incase she was hrd to catch and start to run from you then I will not worry about it.
    omran

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    is she just soaking up the sun???

4. 4boysmom

4boysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2007
    She may just be soaking up the sun, but I'm not sure - I did go & catch her - it was pretty easy, but then my boys pick her up often enough that she doesn't really run away when we're in the coop/pen area. She did flutter away from me when I was holding her. She walks around every little bit & is eating a little ( we put some fresh chickweed and grass in for them to enjoy ) and drinking.....I'll just watch her for a couple of days to see if she shows any change.

Any one else think of anything, let me know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by