Unusual behavior from mallard drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckman4450, Dec 1, 2012.

1. duckman4450

duckman4450 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2012
    Watch both videos and read the descriptions; they describe everything. Leave a comment on youtube, or post a reply on here. Thanks for the help!

Video 1:

Video 2:

2. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    1st video that is the same way my male mallards react with one another if the other male gets to close to their mate.So i beleive that is your male trying to be top duck.The duck is his so back off. LOL of course i'm no expert.Just how i have seen my ducks do.Hope this helped.
    video 2
    Not really sure about this one.But all 5 of my drakes do this.Will be interesting to find out what others say about it. I have 2 mallard & 3 pekin drakes so its not just the mallard breed.I read on here somewhere that it may be where they are trying to readjust the food in their crops.I have no idea though.

3. ElizabethinNY

ElizabethinNY Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2009
    Central NY
    I agree that the male is trying to defend his lady friend in the first video. My males all do the "whistle" in the second video, too. [​IMG] I have mallards, mallard-call crosses and calls. I don't know what the official name for that behavior is but they will do that when they're excited and showing off, especially when I've just changed their water or they're trying to be big shots for their ladies! I'd love to know if the second behavior has an official name. The zipping around in the second video at 1:33 is something my males do just after they've mated with their female. They zip all around their pond with their heads lowered and their feathers on their heads out and act very pleased with themselves! I think your guy is just exhibiting all normal male duck behaviors. It's extra funny if you have more than one drake and they all start that whistle-tooting at the same time!

4. crissycriss

crissycriss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Heflin Alabama
    x2 :)

5. gysygirl

gysygirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2012
    Cornwall
    The second video is exactlly like my Mallard 'Rocky' We call it Duck Tourettes! Prob not politically correct but it is funny to watch [​IMG] Glad it's not just him maybe he's not as weird as we thought! [​IMG]

6. Mo Duck

Mo Duck New Egg

Aug 27, 2012
    Missouri
    My two drakes, Vincent a KC and Wolfgang a Cayuga, both do the same whistling. I thought they might have something wrong, not knowing if this was a common behavior. Vincent has taken to running up my leg or back if I'm working in the yard, much like yours pushing in the 1st video. I have a Cayuga duck (Delilah) who stays five feet away from all humans, clearly superior.

Ducks is funny people!

7. melissamerry

melissamerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2012
    Goleta, California
    I'm so glad you posted this! My 5th month old drake just started doing the "whistle" thing today and I was freaking out! I actually thought he swallowed
    a toy whistle for about an hour...

Do your ducks do the quiver and attack jolt as well? Or is it only the drake? My two females do it when I put a stuffed mallard cat toy out. I figured they just
    didn't like the squeaky noise. But maybe they think the cat toy is going to steal their man!

8. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    He's doing the grunt-whistle, and a head-up-tail-up courtship display.

Clint

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by