unusual birthday gift

Chickaww

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2017
Hello, this site saved me. My wife and two young sons arrived home with my birthday present in March...6 little chicks. We purchased a small coop. I have never seen a chicken before. We let them run the yard until a fox claimed two of them. It was then I concluded "either you are in or out of the chicken hobby". So I set out to build a coop. I look forward to sharing stories and learning.

Attachments

• sticks.JPG
    sticks.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 7
  • progress.JPG
    progress.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 6
  • one man job.JPG
    one man job.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Framed.jpg
    Framed.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Complete.jpg
    Complete.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 6
  • inside.JPG
    inside.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Sign.JPG
    Sign.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 6
Yes. I learned my lesson. My heart was ripped out when we lost these two. The worst part was watching my 6&7 year old sons cry uncontrollably.

I have a really similar coop!
Really? What were their names? If they were the most friendly ones that's probably why. I have a friend that her favorite and most friendly chicken was killed by a raccoon. The three super nice one's were killed. Two were injured.

Wow! I like the way you jumped right in and the coop looks great!

You may want to consider some wind/blowing rain/snow protection for the winter, but I'm betting that's already on your list. And I can't see at ground level, if you made a skirt with the wire or buried it, but foxes can (and will) dig.

Now... where's the chicken pics?!?! :pop :D

Hello, this site saved me. My wife and two young sons arrived home with my birthday present in March...6 little chicks. We purchased a small coop. I have never seen a chicken before. We let them run the yard until a fox claimed two of them. It was then I concluded "either you are in or out of the chicken hobby". So I set out to build a coop. I look forward to sharing stories and learning.

That looks excellent! Would love to see pictures of your chickens! I would be devastated if my favorite chicken was taken so I feel your pain. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom