Unusual comb coloration

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emiikinzy, Sep 1, 2016.

1. emiikinzy

emiikinzy New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    Hello,

My 22 week old black cochin has an unusual discoloration on the beginning of her comb. It blends in with her beak, so I'm not sure if its normal or if I should be concerned. She is acting normal; hiding from the sun during the day, coming out at night to graze. Because it is so late at night I don't have any pictures at the moment - I could only find this image that looks like of similar to her coloration in the face, except maybe a tad darker at the beginning.

[​IMG]

Thanks to anyone who can help!

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    A picture is necessary to really see whats going on. A example is: blackened comb= frostbite usually, scabs on comb = could be foul pox or agressive rooster. Black dots on comb= agressive rooster. Two tone combs can happen when the bird is maturing in between red and pink. Pale comb (after she had a red one) could be illness, respiratory, lack of oxygen. So you see many different things can happen with the comb. It would be impossible to "guess" whats happening without a photo. Sorry i couldnt be more help.

3. emiikinzy

emiikinzy New Egg

Mar 10, 2016
    It's okay, it actually went away right after I posted this. It had been around for a day or two, it may have just been one of the older girls picking on here for all I know. She seems fine and was never lethargic. Thank you for your reply!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by