unusual droppings

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chanteclerflock, May 28, 2008.

1. chanteclerflock

chanteclerflock New Egg

May 28, 2008
    I have a small flock of 18 assorted chanteclers, just over 5 weeks old. Some of them, at least 4 but maybe more, have been having unusual droppings. They are soft, almost runny, and very dark in color, the color of dark red wine. Other than that they seem perfectly normal. Their feathers are developing fine, although some of the look a little ratty lately, I figured that was due to the age. They all seem to eat fine, but I can't really tell if they are all drinking or how much. I am feeding them Nutrena medicated starter. Any thoughts as to what might be causing the weird droppings? I am hoping that it isn't serious.

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Do they have these droppings all the time? It is normal for the poo ever few times to be soft runny and extremely stinky. This is the cecal poo that cleans out the ceca, part of the intestinal tract.
    If they are bloody, you should take a sample to a vet for a fecal float test.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by