Unusual egg with dried 'skin' on outside?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SimplyRhi, Aug 27, 2016.

1. SimplyRhi

SimplyRhi New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Hi

I'm new here, have used your wonderful posts and replies for reference over the last few months while I've been getting used to having chickens!

We have 3 hens, and mostly get 2 eggs a day with the occasional 3rd, however, I've now had two of these looking eggs in the last few weeks and wanted to see if anyone has experience. They have like a dried skin layer over the outside of the shell.

(I've just realized I have no idea how to upload an image??) << Help!

We currently have a redmite infestation (free) and are doing our best to keep them under control and the hens seem to be happy and healthy at the moment.

Thoughts massively appreciated: thank you!!

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Is the layer on the outside of the shells raised and will crumble away if you touch it ?

If so it will likely be calcium deposits

3. SimplyRhi

SimplyRhi New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    46BE6864-AAE1Yes, it is. Almost completely covering it but pulled back and shriveled in places. Not very good description sorry!

Is it a problem? I have another hen who lays quite speckled eggs... Always has, but they do seem more speckled than normal ?

Any idea how I upload a photo?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Could be for a few reasons...

Calcium deficiency

Over ovulation

Illness

I would as a first measure give the chicken a small amount of Vitamin D3 and see if that helps; I trust that you do give your chickens oyster shell already.

5. SimplyRhi

SimplyRhi New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    Thank you. Yes, they have oyster shell grit.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Sounds more like membrane on outside of egg.....or corrugated shell
    Really need a pic.....image icon (mountain and sun) on reply box, unless you're on mobile app then I don't know.

Age of birds?
    Where are you located on this earth?

Stress from mite infestation could be the culprit.
    Best to get an accurate diagnosis of issue before trying to treat.....
    .....as treatment may be totally unnecessary only confuse/complicate the issues.

ETA: Oh, and what are you treating the mite problem with?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  7. SimplyRhi

SimplyRhi New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    [​IMG]

I'm in Hampshire in England. It's quite warm at the moment. Hence the red mites too.

The hens are about 9/10 months old.

We have taken apart their coop to blow torch the mites! Have build a temporary coop a couple days ago to try and get the other one sorted and away from hens. They have a natural environment that had wooden logs in etc - have done our best to remove everything that could re-infect them. Have been using diatomaceous earth on the hens and in the coop. Vaseline on their legs at night. And garlic in their water.

8. SimplyRhi

SimplyRhi New Egg

Aug 27, 2016
    My other chicken that lays slightly speckled eggs has layed these 3 the last 3 days....[​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The on on top almost looks like poop...have you tried washing it off, getting ti good and wet?
    Speckles are awesome...some birds lay those, nothing wrong with them that I can see.

Torches and DE will not eliminate a mite infestation...probably need some chemicals, not sure what you have available over there.
    I'd use permethrin .....dust on birds and a liquid soaking all cracks crevices in coops.

10. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    The one on top almost looks like the chicken is over producing the bloom that coats the egg. If it washes all the way off its probably some type of excretion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by