1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unusual Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TracieJ, Oct 20, 2014.

1. TracieJ

TracieJ New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    [​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Unusual, but not unheard of. To put it simply, there was a traffic jam in the egg factory assembly line. If the hen in question is acting normal, I wouldn't worry about it.

3. TracieJ

TracieJ New Egg

Sep 9, 2014
    I have not figured out which hen it is yet but they are all acting normal. I get a very large egg, double yolk every 3 to 4 days for the past month and this is what we got today. I have 8 hens - 2 over a year and the other 6 are spring chicks. I am guessing it has to be one of the 2 older hens?

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Depends on the breed to a certain degree. I had some production reds for awhile, rehomed them because I didn't care for their personalities. Anyhow, they were laying huge, often double yolked eggs by the time they had been laying for a few months. My old hens, brahmas and like breeds, never have had a double yolk and they are now more than six years old.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    WOW that's a good one, nice pics BTW.

Probably more likely one of the new layers.

You should post that in the weird and odd egg thread.

6. chickgirl12

chickgirl12 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2014
    Indiana
    Interesting egg!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by