Unusual foods

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by rebeccandsomers, Dec 10, 2018.

1. rebeccandsomers

rebeccandsomers In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2018
    So. I had heard chickens would eat rodents but never gave it much thought until my husband was cleaning out the garage last weekend and some mice ran out and our red sexlink grabbed them big and wolfed them down - one at a time - so now I have some pretty big eggs she laid and I’m staring at them thinking those eggs are made of mouse. I haven’t been able to eat one. ‍♀️ Is it safe to eat?

Ducksandchickens likes this.
  2. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Yes. But I understand your concern after viewing the food source. Could make one a little squeamish. Try to get the image out of your mind. This too shall pass, if not sell the eggs. Don’t let go bad.

3. DobieLover

DobieLover Crossing the Road

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Just think "Free Protein".
    Mine have eaten many a garter snake, a fledgling English sparrow, countless spiders and other bugs.
    Once those mousies got processed through the digestive tract, they were nothing more than good protein... and fat and minerals. Great meal!

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Regardless of what it is, when it's dead, it's food.

5. Not to mention that mice bones are a great source of calcium needed for strong eggshells.

6. LittleMissCountry

LittleMissCountry Songster

Mar 30, 2018
    Virginia
    Mine ate a baby bird in front of me. Ugh. Honestly, I didn't even think about the eggs afterwards. Mine also eat spiders, snakes and lizards, though.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just like chickens, eh!?

Timothy Menezes likes this.
  8. Hardknockshomestead

Hardknockshomestead Songster

Sep 3, 2018
    Northwest Wisconsin
    One of my hens ate a toad last summer, and she acted lethargic for a couple days. I was worried. She recovered though, and had been fine since.
    I have read that toads can have toxins in their skin.
    My hens eat mice if they can catch them. Lol they won't eat garter snakes though. The silly things are afraid of even the smallest snakes.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What goes into the crop gets digested and reformulated, so what comes out of the ovary doesn't resemble the input in any way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: